Description and Use of Faculty Studies
The faculty studies located on Trexler Library's ground floor, west side, are intended to support professional study and writing. Activities such as consulting, advising, and routine classroom preparations are not considered appropriate use of faculty studies.
Each study is approximately 80 square feet (8' x 10') and has a telephone for local calls only. The desk unit includes a sliding reference shelf and three drawers, a task light, and a shelf. Other furnishings include an adjustable armchair on casters, and an armchair. Faculty may also request a computer in the study through OIT.
The faculty studies will be assigned to an approved user for a full academic year, for the academic year and summer, or for summer use only.
Note: Any additional faculty studies which are not assigned during a given period will also be available for use by qualified faculty on a short-term basis. Inquiries concerning availability of short-term use should be directed to Tina Hertel, Library Director.
Applications for use of the faculty studies will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a full-time or part-time member of the Muhlenberg College faculty, or an Emeritus Professor.
- Applicant must engaged in, or beginning, a project involving scholarly research and/or writing extending beyond a few weeks.
- Applicant must require close proximity to library resources to support research and/or writing requirements.
Regulation for Use
- Access to studies is available whenever Trexler Library is open.
- Trexler Library materials in faculty studies must be charged out to the faculty member at the circulation desk.
- Researchers assume responsibility for safeguarding their own materials.
- Researchers assume responsibility for maintaining studies in such a manner that they may be regularly cleaned by maintenance personnel.
- With the exception of library, OIT and maintenance staff, no other persons will be allowed access to the faculty studies except in the company of study holder or appropriate library staff member.
The Library Committee will issue application forms, review applications, and assign studies twice a year. Applications for Fall and Spring semester and/or Summer use will be issued to all eligible faculty members.
Should the number of eligible applicants exceed the number of studies, the Library Committee may assign persons to share a study.
All faculty are asked to check out the books that are being used in the study.